Ever since the world started delving into technology, web design has become a very lucrative and relevant skill. Web design encompasses many different skills and disciplines in the production and maintenance of websites. The different areas of web design include web graphic design; interface design; authoring, including standardized code and proprietary software; user experience design; and search engine optimization.
Why is Web design important?
There are various reasons why web design has become very relevant that is asides the obvious fact that the world is daily evolving into a digital village. Some of these reasons are:
1. We are in a fast world: In Today’s world, people want instant results. Instant food, instant communication, instant gratification hence, the increasing need for technology. Many companies have noticed this shift in the world and are finetuning their businesses to this trend by selling their products online through the help of Website design.
2. Every brand needs a website: A website is the representation of a brand. As a result of this, websites have become necessities for any and every brand. Even non-profit-oriented brands need websites because it is impossible for companies to begin to go from one place to another to explain their mission and market their products or services. Websites allow brands to explain their existence on a simple, easily accessible platform.
3. Websites know no geographical boundaries: Websites know no geographical boundaries therefore, web design through the creation of websites has given brands the added advantage of a large audience. It enables them to reach out to every individual and in a cost-effective manner.
4. Customer feedback optimization: Web design has made it possible for brands and businesses to know the mind of their customers. Their likes and dislikes and how they can further appeal to them. Why customer feedback optimization is important is that a satisfied customer would always come back, and sometimes, they come back dragging two or more new referrals.
We have established the importance of web design and web designers however, in web design, there are 5 common mistakes that web designers make that foils the effectiveness of web design.
1. Poor Kerning, tracking, and leading: Kerning is the process of adjusting the spacing between characters in a proportional font. Tracking refers to an optically consistent degree of space adjustments between letters. Leading is concerned with the space between lines it can be simply known as line spacing.
Put together, Kerning, tracking, and leading are done to achieve a visually pleasing result. to affect visual density in a line or block of text. When done poorly, it hurts the eyes and can be very discouraging to visitors of the site.
2. Lack of moderation in the use of colors: Color is one of the most important elements of design and it can determine the very nature of any product. This importance of colors can not be underrated but, your use of colors must be done in moderation. Too few colors make your design done and too many colors make your design too loud and unnecessary. It can be very overwhelming and a major turn-off
3. Choosing illegible fonts: When designing websites, it is pivotal that you remember that the information that can be gotten from the website is the main purpose for setting up a website and so in choosing your fonts, be sure to go for clear fonts. Illegible fonts no matter how fancy makes it impossible for clients to access information and if information cannot be accessed. the whole purpose of the website is defeated.
4. Poor Grammar: Grammatical errors show incompetence. If at all there is any grammatical error, it should be very minute and be corrected as soon as possible. Poor grammar just shows your clients that there was no intentionality and deliberation put into the creation of the website and, if you can’t pay attention to the details on your website, there is no reassurance that clients would be satisfied.
5. Slow server response time: Server response time is the amount of time required to load the HTML document of a website from a server so that the client can begin rendering the page. Slow server response time means that the site would take a longer time to load and this means that your whole site will be slow, no matter how optimized your other resources are.
When your site is slow, people lose patience and leave the site even without getting the information they need.
These common mistakes might seem simple and inconsequential but, they are capable of defeating the whole purpose of designing websites in the first place.