Web traffic is the amount of data sent and received by visitors to a website. Website traffic refers to web users who visit a website. Web traffic is measured in visits, sometimes called “sessions,” and is a common way to measure online business effectiveness at attracting an audience.
Why Is Generating Traffic A Big Deal?
If you are running a profitable business, and your website isn’t attracting visitors, it is bound to get overwhelmed in the vastness of the internet. Every site needs traffic because traffic leads to the generation of quantifiable leads which results in an increase in sales.
Many people forget that it is people who view your website and do business with you online. In the end, your website and business will not survive without steady traffic flow from the right demographic.
There are many reasons why you need to consider the importance of website traffic, and here are three of them:
1. There is a direct relationship between generating more targeted traffic and generating more revenue.
2. Traffic from targeted users, or people who are interested in what you are selling or promoting, are more likely to stay and refer your website to others.
3. An increase in the amount of time a person spends on your page increases the likelihood that they will sign up for your newsletter or receive your promotional content, allowing you to market to them long-term.
Types Of Website Traffic.
At this point, it is important to note that there is something like bad traffic. Bad traffic is when your website is receiving high levels of bounce from the current sources of traffic it has, it means your users aren’t interested or they are unable to get the information they seek from your site. You might be wondering, what bounce means? “bounce” is when a searcher uses Google to find your site via specific keyword searches and, upon reaching your site immediately or within a very short time leaves your site.
However, there are different types of good website traffic that can be generated and they are:
1. Organic: these visits are from non-paid search results. You can increase your chances of receiving more organic visits by using search engine optimization.
2. Referral: these visits are from other websites that are linking to your website. You can increase this type of traffic through guest posting and adding your business on directory websites.
3. Direct: these visits are from people who come to your website directly by typing your website URL into the address bar or who have your website bookmarked.
4. Paid: this type of traffic comes from paid advertisements both through search results and through social media platforms like Facebook.
5. Email: if you use email newsletters, this is an easy way to track people who are coming to your website. This allows you to adjust newsletters as necessary.
6. Social: this type of traffic can be both organic and paid. Platforms like Facebook and Instagram allow paid advertisements.
How To Generate Traffic On Your Website.
1. Blogging Relevant and Relatable Content: Creating and posting relevant content via blogging helps establish the fact that you know your onions in a particular area or field which is critical for attracting new customers.
Blogging not only makes your website appealing to visitors but it also increases your website’s Google visibility. To further help you push your work, it is important that in your content, you make use of SEO, by embedding links and keywords specific to your industry in all of your content.
2. Optimize Social Media: Almost everybody is on Social media little wonder why many small businesses now use social media to help drive traffic to their websites, with many businesses optimizing Facebook the most. While organic social growth doesn’t necessarily require money, it does take time and patience.
When using social media to drive traffic, ensure that you are consistent and that you are diverse in your content as being monotonous with your content can be boring and may result in your audience losing interest.
3. Guest Blogging: While creating relevant and relatable content for your own site, it is important that you take out time to feature someone else too. Although this can give you a large and sudden boost in traffic, it also requires a lot of effort.
If you’re just looking for another place to post content go for a well-known platform e.g medium, HubPages, quora, and Fiverr.
4. Engage the use of SEO: SEO, an acronym for Search Engine Optimization is the basics for every ranking article. SEO goes way beyond optimizing just the title. To generate traffic, every single detail of your content must be optimized. Optimizing for on-page SEO doesn’t have to take ages but it definitely takes a lot of effort and it helps to organically boost traffic.
In conclusion, It is important to note that although generating website traffic is a very effective way to increase sales, it is not the only way. Other options like email-marketing and running promotions from time to time can be explored too.