Video conferencing is a technology that allows users in different locations to hold face-to-face meetings without having to move to a single location together. Various apps facilitate the smooth running of video conferences examples of those apps are Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, Whatsapp room amid others. These apps are quite similar to each other and oftentimes users are filled with indecision on which of the apps to go with. This article attempts to solve that issue using Zoom and Whatsapp room as case studies.
Zoom is a cloud-based video communications app that allows you to set up virtual video and audio conferencing, webinars, live chats, screen-sharing, and other collaborative capabilities. It was developed by Zoom Video Communications, Inc, an American communications technology company headquartered in San Jose, California. It has been around since 21 April 2011 but, gained familiarity in 2020 when a lot of organizations were forced to go remote as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Zoom is not the only available video-conferencing application but was widely accepted and preferred because of its numerous advantage over all others. For instance, you don’t need an account to attend a Zoom meeting, and the platform is compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android, meaning nearly anyone can access it.
After Zoom became famous, a lot of imitations started coming up, out of these imitations, one that got a lot of acknowledgment was Whatsapp Room. This was so because Whatsapp already had a video call feature and for a long time, users have been anticipating an upgraded version of this feature that would accommodate more people and this is what Whatsapp room is.
Similarities between Zoom and Whatsapp Room.
Both Whatsapp and zoom have these features:
1. They can both run efficiently on desktops: Both Whatsapp room and Zoom can be used on desktops. Zoom as an app and Whatsapp in terms of Whatsapp for the web.
2. They both give allowances for people to join on their own: Zoom allows you to leave a room open to a certain group of people so that anyone can drop in at any-time. Also, it allows anyone with a meeting link access to a zoom-room. With Whatsapp room too, anyone with a link can access a meeting room.
3. Both apps are compatible with a wide range of digital platforms.
Differences between Zoom and Whatsapp Room.
1. Whatsapp room has unlimited access and it can be easily accessed by the 3 billion Whatsapp users while Zoom has limited access as it can only be used by those who download the apps.
2. Zoom permits you to share screen, with other participants unlike and record calls throughout while Whatsapp room does not have any of these features.
3. Whatapp room calls have no time limit while Zoom calls have a time limit of 40 minutes.
4. Zoom permits you to schedule a meeting ahead of time, Whatapp room is yet to have a feature like that.
5. Whatsapp room has a larger audience than any other video conferencing app.
6. On zoom, there is a feature that allows users to access and use artificial backgrounds.
7. Whatsapp Room accommodates up to 8 participants while Zoom accommodates up to 50 participants.
There are various factors that might affect a person choose to use a particular video conferencing system examples are; ease of use, customer support, cost, market share, platforms available (IoS, Android, Windows), and more. What appeals to one person, might not appeal to another.
It is very important to note that, no matter how good a video conferencing app is if the internet connection is poor, the good qualities of that app are rubbished. Also, not taking out time to understand the functionality of an app before use is another factor that can hinder a smooth customer experience.