When using the internet on your mobile phone, have you ever noticed an advert pop up on your screen? Or maybe when you download some applications? More often than not, we have an option to make an upgrade to stop viewing these ads or be stuck with the pop-up. These are examples of Mobile advertisements. Mobile advertising is a form of advertising via mobile phones or other mobile devices. It is a subset of mobile marketing, mobile advertising can take place as text ads via SMS, or banner advertisements that appear embedded in a mobile web site. There are different types of mobile advertisements.
1. Display ads: One of the oldest and most popular forms of mobile advertising is display ads. Another name for display ads is banner ads. It majorly appears at the top or bottom of the screen with all the necessary information about a product or service and usually, attention-grabbing graphics. It is a simple, affordable and safe way for a brand to get their name and product viewed by as many people as possible. The main aim of banner ads is to promote a brand.
2. Video advertisement: n this jet age, everyone is looking for fast and quick content to consume, so video advertising is rapidly making waves. It has become an area of focus for anyone that wants to push their brand to the next level. Even though video ads are to communicate their messages in simple terms, the videos have to be produced excellently to arouse the interest of viewers. They are videos that play either while a user opens or interacts with a mobile application e.g. The ads that play before a video on Youtube. It’s a bit expensive to carry out video advertising, but the level of engagement is usually rewarding.
3. Interstitial ads: Have you ever paused an interesting game briefly? Only for an advert to pop up, covering your screen? Those types of ads are called Interstitial ads or full-screen ads. They are described as such because they usually cover the interface of an app. These ads often appear at natural selective points like when a game is paused or when an app is opened or closed. These ads often contain enticing call-to-action (CTA) and are usually inserted in related content for instance, while playing a word game, an ad might pop up on your screen inviting you to download similar apps e.g. Scrabble. This kind of ads is also quite popular with the marketers, reason being, it has a high viewing rate that helps to increase engagements and revenue.
4. Native ads: Native advertising is a type of advertising that matches the form and function of the platform upon which it appears. In many cases it functions like an advertorial and manifests as a video, article or editorial. In other words, it is the use of paid ads that duplicates the look, feel and function of the media format in which they appear. Simply put, native advertising is paid content. They smoothly blend with the app or the media form in which they appear. It is a caricature of the original app format to achieve that optimal user experience feel. These ads often appear in social media feeds, or as recommended content on a web page. The beautiful thing about native advertising is that it can be very subtle. It achieves its aim without being so disruptive.
Media advertising is fastly taking over the advertising industry and if you are still not so sure, here are some reasons why you should give media advertising a try.
- It does not require a lot of content: Mobile advertising does not require a lot of content. Every form of media advertising has a limit. Images shouldn’t contain more than 125 characters; video ads shouldn’t be longer than four minutes unless people get bored and lose interest. A simple headline and 1-2 lines of follow-up text are just fine if it is an advertisement that is image based.
- Its content can be shared: The nature of social media advertising makes it very easy for it to be shared across social media platforms. This increases engagement and gives your brand exposure.
- It has a high engagement rate.
- It is cost effective: For many companies, in comparison to the costs involved in creating other contents, media advertising is way lesser.
- It can be used multiple times and for multiple purposes.