Behavioral retargeting is a form of online targeted advertising by which online advertising is targeted to consumers based on their previous Internet actions. Ever checked up a good or service online, only to see recurring adverts for that particular good even after you have long left the site? You thought it was a mere coincidence? Well turns out it was not a coincidence, it was a result of Behavioural targeting.
Behavioural Retargeting is of different types and each type is listed and explained below.
1. Site retargeting: Site retargeting is a display advertising technique used by marketers to display advertising to people who have previously visited their website. The marketer includes a pixel within their webpage which sets a cookie in the user’s browser. A pixel is a small piece of code on websites that runs when a page is loaded and makes note of who visited each page on that site
2. Search retargeting: Search retargeting is a tactic that targets an audience based on the previous searches they conduct on other websites. Unlike site retargeting, search retargeting is designed to find new customers who have likely never been to a brand’s website before.
3. Link retargeting: Link retargeting is when you put your retargeting pixel code inside of a short link so that anyone that clicks on the link is added to your retargeting audience.
It is just like traditional ad retargeting. The critical difference is that instead of having to send customers to your site, you can display retargeting ads to everyone that clicks on your custom short links. You can create a short link out of any content including third-party content. This short link can be shared on various platforms and everyone that clicks on the link will automatically be added to a retargeting audience.
4. Email retargeting: Ever sighted click here to subscribe to our mailing list on websites? That is a function of Email retargeting. It is a way to re-engage both leads and clients via an email campaign. Email retargeting can to either be Display-Ad-Based or Email based. Display- ad-based in the sense that the audience is retargeted with display ads after they have read an email from the advertiser and Email-based in the sense that website visitors are emailed after their website visit.
5. Social retargeting: Social media retargeting works by connecting you with an audience who has already visited your site on social channels based on behavior from their internet use. Here’s how social media retargeting works when people browse elsewhere after leaving a site, social retargeting can reintroduce them to products they’re already indicated interested in on the previous sites and offer them a promotion that encourages them to return and make purchases.
Why Behavioural Retargeting?
There are many digital marketing techniques on how to generate leads but Behavioural retargeting has stood out because of its many benefits. Some of which include:
1. Increase in Engagement:
Understanding consumer habits helps advertisers to identify target audiences and this helps to save time and resources. Targeting users with no behavioral intent or brand awareness asides from limiting engagement leads to a waste of resources. Also, make use of behavioral targeting increases the number of critical metrics, such as clicks or conversions.
2. Improves Content Quality:
Behavioral targeting improves the quality of content churned out in the sense that through it, the kind of content the target audience is interested in can be determined. Personalized messaging converts more users and ultimately reduces the amount of wasted ad spend. Ads that align with a consumer’s previous behavior are much more likely to convert than ones that don’t.
3. Improving the bottom line:
The ultimate goal of any business is to get the best possible return on investment in their campaigns. Delivering ads that match the audience’s previous behavior is more likely to drive conversions than ones that are generic. With behavioral targeting, companies can see a rise in new business, repeat customers, engagement, and other key metrics.
4. Increased Efficiency:
Running ads is one of the fastest and most efficient ways to drive engagement and sales. What makes it even more efficient is when the ads are well-targeted. It’s like hitting gold. It provides a fast way of seamlessly identifying the best product for the needs of clients.
5. Awareness of new products:
By seeing ads that are personalized to them, consumers can keep up to date with new products that interest them. Retargeting based on behavior can also help redirect consumers and urge them to complete purchases that they probably got distracted from.
Behavioral targeting is an aspect of digital marketing that more attention should be paid to because research has shown that behaviorally targeted advertisements could lead to a 6 times higher click-through rate than non-targeted ads. This makes Behavioral targeting a very powerful marketing tool.