There are a number of ways to become a Digital Marketer. There’s actually no specific background experience required for you to become a Digital Marketer, only a specific set of skills. In fact, many people enter the field from a range of different roles, including Copywriter, Webmaster, or even Influencer.
With so many people playing, working, and shopping online, it’s no wonder that digital is front and center when it comes to the priorities of a marketing department. From staying relevant in customers’ minds to building a profitable brand, organizations are investing a lot of time and money in digital marketing. In fact, by 2022, digital advertising spending in the U.S. is projected to surpass $200 billion.
Here are 5 things you need to do to be a successful digital marketer:
1. Learn Digital Marketing Fundamentals: The first step is to acquire core technical competencies in SEO and SEM, analytics, social media marketing, and advertising, and email marketing. Try to find ways to demonstrate that you have the many soft and transferable skills a Digital Marketer should possess, including leadership, a strong writing voice, and a feel for the online landscape
2. Build a Digital Marketing Portfolio: Your resume can only say so much about what you are capable of as a digital marketer. That’s why it’s incredibly important for marketing professionals to have a portfolio, so they can better attract potential clients. The beauty of having an online portfolio comes from professionalism, visibility, and flexibility. Having all of your work curated in one organized space is a great way to build a good first impression with potential clients. Think of it as your 24/7 salesman, showing off your best work no matter the time or place.
3. Network to Make Connections in Marketing: Developing a wide network as a Digital Marketer begins online. In addition to the mentioned social channels or blog, you might launch your own industry-related newsletter to showcase your own original content, demonstrate thought leadership, and share your work while also growing your personal platform. Building out a strong online presence is to one’s benefit in virtually any field, but particularly so in digital marketing, where the proof is in the pudding.
4. Learn from Digital Marketing Brands and Entrepreneurs: If you’re considering or just starting out in a career in digital marketing, making the investment in a professional digital marketing conference may be too big of a leap. Luckily, there’s a lot of great content online geared towards making a successful digital marketing career.
5. Find a Digital Marketing Internship: As with any internship position, many people do them for the opportunity to work in a professional environment that pushes their capabilities. An internship can be challenging, but when surrounded by the right team, you can learn from their mistakes and successes. Not only can an internship help expand your digital marketing portfolio and experience, but it can help determine what you appreciate in a work environment.
Wanting to become a digital marketer is one thing, but actually getting into that space is an entirely different matter. To succeed, you have to be able to attract clients. One of the reasons a digital marketing career is so exciting is that because the field is constantly evolving as different platforms are introduced. A digital marketing manager is always scoping out trends and seeing how they impact discoverability.