Radio broadcasting is a one-way wireless transmission over radio waves intended to reach a wide audience. Due to the evolving technology, Radio broadcast/advertising might seem an old form of advertising. Particularly with the rise of the Internet and other types of media, coupled with the perceived decrease in radio audience. This, however, is far from true. Radio advertising, for a long while, has been a consistent and reliable form of advertising, broadcast media, news, and marketing material to listeners across a huge number of stations around the world. Despite the rise of digital strategies, radio still maintains its foothold in the industry.
While there are individuals who have chosen to let go of their traditional radios, many people have tuned in to podcasts, music streaming, and online radio programs. Those who listen to these programs encompass all generations, ethnicities, and demographics. With such a wide user base across the nation, radio advertising can be an excellent strategy to boost ad campaigns and enhance your branding strategies. Without breaking your budget, you can amplify your brand through your marketing approach, watch your sales grow, brand message spread, and your existing customers come back for more.
Selecting the right radio station(s) from the many that are accessible to you isn’t as difficult as it may seem at first. Radio partitions it’s audiences into age ranges (18 – 34, 18 – 49, 25 – 54, 45+ and so on) and gender (female, male and adults–choose adults if your customers are evenly split between male and female). Each radio station delivers a very specific audience, so once you know the age and gender of your target customers, you can zoom in on stations that serve those people.
Investing in online radio ads is an effective way to reach potential customers and here are five (5) reasons why you should integrate radio advert into your marketing strategy;
1. Radio has a wide Reach: With radio ad, your customers can hear your message as they tune in to their favourite program from anywhere they are. As soon as a station plays your ad, everyone listening passively from employees tuning in at their desks to commuters heading to work will immediately hear what you have to say.
One of the reasons radio has a wider reach is because it gives room for online radio ads.
Online radio ads target web or internet radio, which involves streaming media. Internet radio uses computers and mobile phones. In between shows, songs and talking segments, the operators play ads, which earns them revenue. This opportunity is where you can place online radio ads tailored to promote your business products and services. What better way to reach consumers than through a medium that is heavily integrated into society?
2. Radio is cost-effective: Businesses hope to achieve a high return on investment (ROI) for every penny they spend in marketing. Radio advertising has significantly fewer costs compared to other types of media. Because online radio ads are cost-effective, you can realize excellent value. The cost of your radio ad depends on its frequency, length, and the time of the day it is aired. As the case may be, you can decide to pay extra to get the prime advertising spots. This step ensures that your ad will reach the intended customers. Maximising this technique will also help increase your ROI.
3. Radio targets the right audience: An essential merit of online radio ads is that they do not only reach a wide range of people; they also target specific customers, demographics and market segments. When you choose the right station, you are able to lock into your potential customers and increase the frequency of delivering your message. The variety of its reach makes radio a fairly targeted medium. When you understand the underlying demographics of your audience, you can select the best station for your needs, as well as the best day and time for reaching them consistently. And by increasing the frequency of your ads, you can build brand awareness and loyalty quickly with the right audience.
4. Radio personifies your brand: Radio is about pairing a brand with a voice in a way that allows you to speak openly to your listeners. Rather than seeing your name and associating it with a cleverly worded article, those who’ve heard your radio ad time or countlessly will build a mental image of your brand based on your voice, attitude, and message. By adding music, jingles, and other elements to your online radio ads, you can create a distinct image in the minds of consumers.
In your personal life, when you have something very important to communicate to someone, which would you prefer – to show them a picture, to write to them, or to talk with the intimacy and emotion of the human voice? I’m sure you know the right answer. This allows your brand to be distinct and paves a way for your audience to relate with your brand.
5. Radio ads provide measurable results: Another benefit of radio ads is that they can be measured on a daily basis. This flexibility is a significant advantage, especially for small businesses that cannot afford to pay for airtime of ineffective ads. You can track results quickly and accurately compared to television or print media where it may take a long time to track.
Radio advertising lets you reach the right audience at the best times of day, pairs well with other channels as part of an integrated marketing mix, and ultimately influences your audience to take action. In fact, if you aren’t utilizing radio advertising, then you’re most likely leaving something important on the table: increased sales and revenue.
We hope these five facts have made a compelling case for why radio should be integrated into your media mix.
For help getting started, reach out to our team to Evaluate Media today by sending an email to [email protected] We will help you find the stations that cater to your target audience, craft the right message, choose strategic dayparts, create the ads that will resonate most and monitor the success of your radio spots. Send an email today to see how we can help.